Monday, June 21, 2010

A Wrinkle In Time

I can't believe that in all my years, I have not read AWIT until now. I thought it was a wonderful book about how love conquers all, and I can certainly see how young children can be taught that everyone has a special gift. When Calvin, Charles Wallace and Meg go on their adventure to find Mr. Murray, Mrs. Whatsit gives each of them "a little talisman" to help them accomplish their task. I would think that from a child's point of view, figuring out how to use their special gift or even figuring out what their gift is, would be the adventure in itself.
Unfortunately, I still don't understand why the book was banned due to the religious undertones. This reason being that I did not grow up in a Christian household and am a little embarrassed to say it, but I know very little about the bible. Perhaps as I continue with my studies and take more English courses, I will begin to notice it more. (As someone had mentioned in last weeks lecture that once you're "trained" to look for certain things, you can find it a lot quicker and make the connection).
I would also think that the kids reading the book are not looking at it the same way that adults would. Sure it's a little on the science side, but I think it has more of a fantasy element to it. I wish I would've read it when I was younger as it would be interesting to compare my thoughts on it different points. Still, I'm always going to be a kid at heart and think that I will always enjoy such books and go along for the ride, no matter what my age. I'm also looking forward to the movie because as I said before, it always excites me to see how books have been adapted to a film. I love being a critic!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's hard for most students now to imagine how they would've felt about the book if they'd read it as children. Perhaps the reactions would be the same (some would love it, others hate it) - not unlike today's popular children's literature, like Harry Potter.

    It is, indeed, a great adventure story, and although the adaptation isn't terrific, the emphasis on love conquering all is maintained.

    ReplyDelete